Pages

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Warner Brothers announces 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' reboot


 Back in May 2009, it was announced that a big screen adaptation of the hit show Buffy The Vampire Slayer was in the works for the big screen. The bad news? Acclaimed director Joss Whedon who wrote the 1992 movie and created the TV series in 1997 was not going to be involved in the project. "I think that's something better left untouched by me. So, I wish them luck," he said.

 Now, according to the Los Angeles Times, actress Whit Anderson (Yes Man) will be writing the new movie's screenplay while Charles Roven (Batman Begins) will produce it. Anderson has expressed her love for the character:


 "I didn't really watch much television at all, but I always watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That was the one show I would watch when I got home," Anderson said.  "I just loved this character. I was the same age as Buffy, and it was so rare to have a female lead character on TV in those days who was strong and capable and smart but also allowed to be feminine."

 Whedon on the other hand has expressed his "mixed emotions" about this new movie reboot of the franchise:
 "This is a sad, sad reflection on our times, when people must feed off the carcasses of beloved stories from their youths - just because they can’t think of an original idea of their own, like I did with my Avengers idea that I made up myself," he joked to E! Online.

  Whedon admitted with his usual witty humour that he had "always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was," he continued. "And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill." 

  What is going on in Hollywood these days? Are they really that uninspired? As a Buffy fan, this project really gets on my nerves, as we (the fans) have been begging for a movie for years, but with the characters from TV we all know and love... and specially with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Joss Whedon involved. This has disaster written all over it! Why the hell is an actress writing the screenplay? And the worst part is, after it flops, there won't be any interest whatsoever in doing a proper movie with the original characters. If its not going to be made properly, it is better to leave it the way it is!

What do you guys think? Should this reboot be dismissed? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you tottally. They run more of a risk sodding this up completely

    ReplyDelete